Monday, January 12, 2015

Full Power Gospel


I was studying this morning in 1 Thessalonians and as I was reading the greeting Paul gave to the Thessalonians I was struck by verse 5. It reads;

5 because our gospel came to you not only in word, but also in power and in the Holy Spirit and with full conviction. You know what kind of men we proved to be among you for your sake.”

1 Thessalonians 1:5 (ESV)

I had to stop and ask myself this question does the Gospel that I share with others have these things or am I sharing a weak half-hearted Gospel. I say this because I have come to understand that we must always start with ourselves when we seek revival in a community. If we are not filled with the Holy Spirit in the same way Paul and the early church fathers were do we really have the power and conviction to live a life that honors God. That is after all were the power comes from. This is just one part of the verse and the question we have to ask ourselves.

Paul goes on to make a declaration in this verse, “you know what kind of men we proved to be among you for your sake” For Paul, Silas and Timothy it was not just enough to have been there they became part of the community living with and interacting with the individuals that God placed in their path. In our culture today how many times do you go through your day never speaking to anyone other than the people you normally interact with? These men and other great ministers throughout history took time to engage those they met each day. Too often we go through our day to day routines never taking time to engage the people God has placed in our path. A friend recently asked for me to pray for him in this area and I guess that is what led me to this today. I want to as Paul told the Colossians in Colossians 4:5;

5 Walk in wisdom toward them that are without, redeeming the time

Colossians 4:5 (KJV)

If we really desire to redeem the time God has given us we must be convicted to walk in the power of the Holy Spirit so that we are proven faithful to those who do not know Christ. I challenge you today where do you stand is your Gospel half-hearted or is it full of power and conviction to see those God puts in your life changed by the power of the Gospel. Be blessed as you walk in the light of God’s Word.

No comments:

Post a Comment

You may not agree with me that is alright Jesus still loves you!